Lompoc Wine Ghetto offers an interesting alternative to Fess Parker or Gainey Ranch for tasting wines in Southern California

On a recent trip to Los Angeles we wanted to get out of the city so headed North to Santa Barbara.  We stayed at the Santa Barbara Inn, an old funky hotel in a great location and spent a couple of days driving around the beaches, farmland and vineyards.


We especially liked the Wine Ghetto in Lompoc.  There are 19 tasting rooms in an industrial park, many of them showcasing premium small lot wineries that you can't taste or buy anywhere else.  We liked The Taste of Santa Rita Hills where you can taste wines from 5 or 6 wineries.  Owner Antonio Moretti makes a nice Pinot Noir.  We came home with this Ken Brown Pinot Noir from the highly acclaimed Clos Pepe Vineyard.  


We spent the rest of our time at the Wine Ghetto at Jalama Wines talking to wine maker Mark Gargasacchi and tasting his incredible wines.  I love the single varietal Grenache, Mourvedre and Syrah as well as the El Capitan blend.  These are hand crafted small lot wines of exceptional quality and value.  Only available at the Wine Ghetto.


A little further east we loved the town of Los Olivos, a charming little town home of The Fess Parker Inn and Spa.  I think I'll stay there the next visit. We looked in and the restaurant is definitely worth a visit.  We ate right across the street at The Wine Merchant.  They have a huge selection of wine for sale, a
large tasting bar with small plates of food and a lovely restaurant.  I asked about a wine that said limited stock and when they delivered the glass I was shocked thinking that they would sell such a small pour but they had run out and were giving me the last of it free.  When I ordered another glass I was presented with a taste first to make sure I liked it.  My kind of place. 


 Our waiter wasn't only knowledgeable about wine but knew a thing or two about beer as well.  David tried the Firestone Walker Reserve with a nicoise.
 I highly recommend the Wine Merchant.


 Back in Santa Barbara we had reservations at Cielito Restaurant, an upscale Mexican restaurant in a courtyard off State Street.  It was an exceptionally good meal.  I had a crab and shrimp enchilada with a poblano, tomatillo cream sauce.  One of the best Mexican dishes I've had.


David had the fish feature and it was crisp without being overcooked in a deeply flavourful sauce.  

Wine Cask Restaurant

For our final night in Santa Barbara we ate at the Wine Cask.  Great wine selection and an amazing rock shrimp ceviche.  I got to try the Clos Pepe Estate Chardonnay and considered myself a very lucky lady.
The next time your in Los Angeles consider heading north.  There's great food and wine in them there hills.

Cheers,  Cathy


Comments

Popular Posts