Oysters in New York, March 2012

New York loves Oysters and so do I.  Oysters are on a lot of menus.  Daniel Boloud has a stand up bar at his multifood complex across from Lincoln Centre. We had a some martinis and wine at Boloud Bar next door and I would  be happy to eat in the restaurant anytime.  But standing up to quaff raw oysters in a rush just doesn’t work for me.  I like to go slow and sip champagne in between.  The Food Hall by Todd English had an oyster bar, although the oysters we tried there were ho hum boring and again too crazy busy to really enjoy.     But we finally made it to the Oyster restaurant in Grand Central Station, one of my new favourite places.  Grand Central is an incredible building with intriguing tunnels running off in every direction.  And those tunnels don’t just lead you to trains but to great food.  The Oyster Restaurant offers dining room seating, counter service and a saloon.  We enjoyed the dining room but next time it’s the Saloon for me.  They had 2 oysters from BC amongst a selection of 10.    The rooms are full of beautiful brick arches like the best cave restaurants, the service is casual and efficient, the atmosphere bustling until you check the tables where everything has paused in blissful food enjoyment.  Oh yeah!  I LOVE Grand Central.

Comments

Popular Posts