Esca, New York

Esca exceeded expectation.  When David, the “king of reconfirm” did a final check on our Open Table reservation, something had gone wrong but a table was made available within the hour.  The front of house offers a really warm welcome. For some entertainment they “primed” the wine glasses before serving, probably a meaningless gesture but I enjoyed the novelty.    Our server made some good recommendations and we each had a starter, shared a pasta and then a fish dish.  I began with the best scallop dish in memory.  Served with citrus including; blood orange and grapefruit, this was the stand out dish of the evening.  David and I shared slightly spicy squid ink pasta with calamari and it was rich and perfect for sharing.  For a main course I had a fish they called “Porgy” I suppose after Porgy and Bess, in any case it was a mediocre fish and enough said.  David said he’d go back for the chocolate sorbetto.  Me?  I think the scallops will never be as good again, but I’ll go back and try sometime.  Special mention to the cherry blossom arrangement at the front door.   Mario Batalli, Joe Bastianich and David Pasternack have created a great restaurant for seafood and wine lovers.  Love it!
Esca
402 W. 43rd St. (at 9th Ave)
Ph:  212-564-7272

Comments

Popular Posts