I love all things Portuguese, including Aldea NYC by Chef George Mendes

Black Squid rice crisps 

In the Flatiron district we tried Aldea, a 1 Michelen star restaurant by George Mendes.  Possibly the best thing about those Michelen stars are the amuse bouche that goes with it. We were served a squid ink rice crisp with prawn mousse and fava bean puree.  There wasn't a crumb left.


Sea Urchin Toast with Cauliflow Puree
For starters we had Bacalau croquettes, blistered peppers, Japanese sea urchin toasts and mussel soup.  There was a lot of "You have to try this" and "I'm not sharing " going on, a sure sign that we were loving the food.

Blistered Peppers at Aldea

Blistered Peppers were popular in New York.  They were on several bar menus.  And I do love good bar food.




Mussel Soup 





Mussel soup was reluctantly shared.  Just looking at it you KNOW it's going to be everything it should be; rich and flavourful with a taste of the ocean lingering.  


Sea Salt Chatham Cod 
For a main course the Sea Salt Chatham Cod was recommended and it was a nice dish although not one that I'd want again.  Cod is in my blood and you have to do something special with it to impress me.  I've eaten more than my share of simply but perfectly prepared cod and I know it's about the fish and it was good. I really liked the charred corn and have been using it a lot at home this summer.  



Smoked Lamb Ribs and Braised Shoulder
I think Rachel's Lamb Ribs and Braised shoulder was a more satisfying dish.  Is sure looked pretty and there was none left.



Little Dreams at Aldea
Another popular menu item in New York is mini donuts.  I'm not talking Tim Bits but freshly made donuts with dipping sauces that are boasting of the finest chocolate and cream and stuffed with amazing custards.  I have to admit I did not try any but they sure looked and smelled good.

The final bites were also compliments of that Michele Star.  The surprise dessert was Portuguese tarts.  Popular in Chinese bakeries in Vancouver.  These were outstanding.
Portuguese Tarts at Aldea
I'm still not sure what makes one restaurant Michelin starred and another not and I'm not sure it's all that relevant but I did like Aldea.  Good food, good atmosphere, we left smiling and happy.

Comments

Popular Posts