New York is the most interesting food city. The more I go the more I want to. Empellon Taqueria is my new favourite place to eat.

Bacalau Croquettes with garlic aioli at Aldea
New York seems like a distant memory 2 weeks later but there are some things that stand out.  Number 1 is the bacalau croquettes.  They seemed to be everywhere and they were delicious.  For a good Newfoundlander like me, they are just called fish cakes and they were often on our dinner menu.  I had them at 3 restaurants in New York.  Blistered peppers were another hot item.



Guacamole and 7 Salsas at Empellon
We stayed in the Union Square area and mostly stuck to restaurants in lower Manhattan.  There were so many good choices but my favourite was Empellon Taqueria.  I recommend the Guacamole with All 7 Salsa.  The chips were very fresh and well made, the guacamole was perfect and the 7 sauces were all tasty, some hot, some not.  All with a depth of flavour that really made the guacamole shine.



Lobster and corn taco, Empellon

We also had Smoked plantain and crema sopas.  Equally good.  We thought about ordering more for dessert but after the trio of tacos we were done.  There were 11 tacos to choose from.  We tried the lobster, the crab and the brussel sprouts.  All good, but my favourite was the lobster.

Brussel Sprout, malted hummus and hazelnuts
The brussel sprout taco was a surprising combination of flavours that worked well together. It wasn't my choice but I did like it.
Crab cake taco, Empellon



The crab cake isn't on the menu, but it should be.









Empellon was casual with a fun, busy atmosphere and thoughtful, happy staff.  I recommend it for all Mexican food lovers.

Comments

Popular Posts