Mix Las Vegas by Alain Ducasse

201



Mix came up as a choice as soon as we started to decide on restaurants in Las Vegas. Alain Ducasse is a French icon of cooking and I couldn't miss the opportunity. We weren't sorry. It was a near perfect meal. On the 64th floor of The Hotel at Mandalay Bay, it is a beautiful dining room. White glass balls hanging from the ceiling like necklaces and the glittery lights of Las Vegas below, white leather arm chairs. This is really French STYLE. The art of cooking with butter is alive and well. I had Cod Brandade. As a true Newfoundlander I eat it whenever I see it, this dish had the mashed brandade below and a beautiful cod piece (lol) with crisp skin on top. Mashed potatoes, wild mushroom fricasse and asparagus were served family style making the whole experience more casual and kind of decadent. Another daunting wine list with crazy expensive wines made me long for the days when I could eat a meal like that and not miss wine if I refused to be gouged. Never mind. It's a once in a lifetime experience, which in itself is crazy to say. Alain Ducasse wasn't cooking just as Mario Batali wasn't at B & B. It's a bit like going to Paris, Venice or New York in Las Vegas. Fantastic fakes.

Comments

Popular Posts