Breakfast at Burrowing Owl and morning wine tastings in Okanagan Falls.

Breakfast at Burrowing Owl was more than a continental breakfast.  Lots of fresh juices and fruits as well as muffins, bread and cereal, but also a couple of hot egg dishes and chunks of smoked salmon in a nice breakfast room with seating inside or on the patio overlooking the pool.    Very nice indeed.

We were staying the next few nighst at Sparkling Hill but had a couple of stops to make along the way.  I'd had some of wine waiting to be picked up at Meyer. The Meyer people are excited about wine and they do an exceptional tasting with odd and interesting food pairings. They make seriously delicious Chardonnays and Pinot Noirs.   I pretty well had to swear I would cellar a couple of the single vineyard Pinot for a couple of years before they'd sell them to me.  If I had  discipline I wouldn't have already guzzled the previous vintages.  Discipline can be overrated.  If you love Burgundian style wines, go to Meyer.  Drink their wines.  You won't be sorry.   I even bought a Gewurztraminer so there's a curry in our future.



Okanagan Falls is one of my very favourite area of BC.  Perhaps because it's a little of the beaten track.   But probably because it's home to the likes of Blue Mountain, Noble Ridge, the beloved Painted Rock, Wild Goose and many other excellent wineries.

We stopped at Wild Goose.  I love the Pinot Gris and wanted to try the Stoney Slopes Reisling and see the new tasting room.  It was a little disappointing that we couldn't taste the Reisling.  Although it is only available at the winery you must buy it to taste it.  I bought some and they're delicious but come on, open the wines, charge for the tasting if you must but OPEN THE WINE!

With my steering wheel twitching at many signposts we headed north for a Taste of the Okanagan tour booked for the afternoon.

Distinctly Okanagan picked us up at Sparkling Hill and headed back south to downtown Kelowna for our 1st stop at Tree Brewing Company.  We tried a flight of their draft beer.  They have something for everyone.  Nice fresh flavours.


Calona Vineyards is in the same block and it's a great place to pick up some of the harder to get Sandhill Small Lots wines.  

Second stop on the tour was Urban Distilleries.  It was very interesting and although I don't love a lot of spirits I do love coffee and their Spirit Bear Espresso Infused Vodka has found a welcome place in my home.  

Final stop was Carmelis Goat Cheese Artisan Shop.  They generously let us taste everything and anything we wanted.  I'm a big goat cheese lover so I was in my element.  The surprise was the exceptional goat cheese gelato.  Lot's of great flavours and again generous with the tastings.  Excellent stop for wine touring in the Mission area of Kelowna.
The day ended with a cocktail party at Sparkling Hills Resort where I discovered that Summerhill makes a very nice Pinot Noir.    

Great Day!  Cheers!

Comments

Popular Posts