We love to start wine touring with a drive up Hwy 3 through the less developed wine region.

First stop, the Similkameen Valley at Clos du Soleil.  I love this kind of tasting, nothing fancy just a guy growing and making wine and happy to let you taste it.  Bathrooms across the yard, in the garage, and make sure the door is closed cause the cat is trying to steal the big box of hatching chicks.  Love it and the chicks were so cute.  We left with a bottle of their 2009 Eclipse, one of only 6 left for sale and made by Ann Sperling.  That’s the last thought I'm giving that wine for a couple of years. Also picked up a couple of nice Pinot Blancs for the summer.


Next up, La Stella in Osoyoos, sister property to the French inspired La Vieux Pin, they make wines like Italians and have a beautiful Tuscan style tasting room with a great balcony.    They are picky about all the right stuff in that Italian lover kind of way.   The wines are worth a splurge, though I think I'm more French than Italian.

We made a quick stop at Desert Hills and picked up some Gamay,  a consistently good summer red for spicy food, that serves up very nicely when slightly chilled.  I like their new label.




Final stop was Black Hills.  I've tried not to like Black Hills because of their phenomenal success but I can’t help it.  I love them.  The new Wine Room with a $20 sommelier led tasting through their magnificent portfolio is a perfect last stop.  Sitting on the patio by the fountain/pool sipping unavailable wines with and expert telling you the story of the wine, the vintage and the winery is a real pleasure.  I left a member of their wine club. I may have been slightly intoxicated but it's really good value. I'm not showing a picture of my Nota Bene cause then you'll know I have it.


Dinner at Burrowing Owl and another great day in the Okanagan were ahead.





Comments

Popular Posts